Thursday, October 23, 2014

Easy healthy home cooking

This weekend I decided to take my home cooking some where new! I used ginger for the very first time and I cooked for three days in a row! I already posted about my split pea and ham soup but here is the rest of the yummy food that I made. 
First we'll start with Carrot Ginger soup! It was surprisingly easy to make and really there were not that many ingredients involved. 

Ingredients:

1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 large white onion, chopped
3 cups low sodium fat-free vegetable broth
1 lb baby carrots, peeled
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
1/4 cup fat-free sour cream 
salt and white pepper to taste
2 tbsp fresh chives, for garnish
 "In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat; add onions and cook, stirring often, until onions are soft, about 5-6 minutes. Add broth, carrots, and ginger.Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are soft, about 30 minutes."
"Add sour cream, using an immersion blender (or a regular blender like I did), carefully blend until smooth. Bring soup back to a boil, adjust salt and pepper to your taste."
"Ladle into 4 bowls and garnish with a little more sour cream if desired and fresh chives."
This soup was perfect! So creamy and smooth. I will definitely make this soup again when I get the craving! I like that looks fancy when it's really simple. A good impression starter soup if you are having a party!

Then I did my second crock-pot meal of the week, a meal that I used to make quite frequently. Why? Because it tastes really good and is crazy easy to make! 

Ingredients:
3 onions
6 Garlic cloves (or as many as you want)
Italian Seasoning
2 Chicken breast

Chop onions and layer the bottom of the pot, leave garlic cloves whole, add chicken and seasoning.
 3 1/2 hours on high and you'll end up with this deliciousness! The onions turn into the perfect side.
  I also love that these dishes are healthy. The most unhealthy thing in either dish is the sour cream. I used low fat sour cream so it wasn't bad at all! 
The soup I had extra so I froze it and the chicken dish I usually make 4 breasts at a time and take it work for the week. It microwaves really well. 

Did you try anything new this week?